Meet the Peace Train!
Shrewsbury Station Gather beforehand from 10.10am - to greet the train at 10.39.
Meet us at the station entrance and give your letter to us to take on the train, or drop off beforehand at - The Coffee House, 5 Castle Gate, S’bury, SY1 2AE
- Church Stetton Station Gather beforehand from 10.25am - to greet the train at 10.53.
Meet us at the station (A49 side) and give your letter to us to take on the train, or drop off beforehand at - 1, Central Ave, Church Stretton, SY6 6EE
- Ludlow Station Gather beforehand at Ludlow Brewery from 10am - to greet the train at 11:08am
Meet us at the station (Southbound) and give your letter to us to take on the train, or drop off beforehand at Myriad Organics.
Route: Chester—Newport…..then directly to House of Commons
Purpose: Appeal to Parliament to sign the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons—a global nuclear weapons ban
How: Your letters in support of the ban will be delivered by hand to the House of Commons.
Meet us at the stations and give your letter to us to take on the train
Let's join the 122 countries who have already agreed and rid the world of nuclear weapons!
What’s this about?
The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, or the Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty, is the first legally binding international agreement to comprehensively prohibit nuclear weapons, with the goal of leading towards their total elimination. The treaty text was passed by 122 member countries of the United Nations in July 2017 - although not the UK.
In order to come into effect, signature and ratification by at least 50 countries is required. As of Sept. 2018, 69 countries have signed this Treaty and 19 have ratified it. We want our UK government to sign this international Treaty. To do this would be an act towards rebuilding the UK position in the world as a peace broker and assist in moving all nations towards the prevention of war.
Why us – We the Peoples?
- Each of us has individual and collective responsibility towards a safer world by persuading our UK government to sign this Ban Treaty. Over 3000 scientists already support this Ban Treaty including the late Stephen Hawking
- The Peace Train is a unique event on October 24th when we can join together to help to persuade our government to sign.
- The Peace Train is led by The Hereford Peace Council with the support of many individuals and organisations throughout civil society.
The Peace Train will travel through Shropshire on Oct. 24th onwards to London and Parliament. The Train will stop to collect letters and messages at Shrewsbury, Church Stretton and Ludlow. Please do join us at the stop nearest you.
What can I do?
1. Write letters or messages to the Prime Minister, or the Foreign Secretary, or your MP. (draft letters available on request).
2. Bring or post your letters to one of the drop off points listed above
3. Join us Weds. Oct. 24th to greet The Peace Train. Bring your banners, posters, flags and positive good humour to this unique event towards a nuclear free world. (banner/poster ideas available on request.)
It is vital that all rail passengers on and off the train and those meeting them have normal easy access throughout.
07851 760 443 / crowe@Freedomia.net